- A champion has the courage to risk failure, knowing that setbacks are lessons to learn from.
- A champion uses an event to gain greater self-knowledge as well as feedback on physical improvement.
- A champion trains their thought processes as well as their body to produce a total approach to performance.
- A champion understands their athletic weaknesses and trains to strengthen them.
- A champion actively creates a life of balance, moderation and simplicity - values that help improve running and life.
- A champion views competetors as partners who provide challenge and the chance to improve.
- A champion enjoys sport for the simple pleasures it provides.
- A champion has vision. A champion dreams of things that haven't been and believes they are possible. A champion says "I can."